Alternative fuel solutions
Luxfer Gas Cylinders, an operating unit of Luxfer Group (NYSE:LXFR), is the world’s largest manufacturer of high-pressure composite cylinders. More than four million full-wrapped Luxfer composite cylinders have an exemplary record of safety and dependable performance in a variety of demanding applications worldwide.
Luxfer Gas Cylinders is also a leading global supplier of lightweight, high-pressure composite cylinders for storage and transportation of compressed natural gas (CNG), a clean-burning, environmentally friendly alternative fuel (AF). Luxfer AF cylinders are also used for storage of bio-methane, hydrogen and other industrial bulk gases.
- G-Stor® AF carbon composite cylinders for CNG-powered vehicles. Luxfer is the only major cylinder manufacturer that offers both Type 3 aluminum-lined cylinders (our G-Stor Pro® line) and Type 4 polymer-lined cylinders (our G-Stor Go® line).
- Bulk gas transport modules from Luxfer-GTM Technologies.
- Dynecell™ cylinders for high-pressure hydrogen, as well as proprietary high-pressure valves rated up to 700 bar (10,153 psi).
- Luxfer accessories, including all necessary valves, pressure-relief devices (PRDs) and cylinder-mounting hardware.
Because Luxfer Type 3 AF cylinders are 66% lighter than Type 1 steel cylinders and up to 20% lighter than other Type 3 cylinders, they offer greatly improved fuel economy, increased range and a significant reduction in vehicle maintenance costs because they lessen wear and tear on brakes, tires and suspension systems. In haulage businesses, reduced vehicle weight also permits higher payloads. Since lightweight composite cylinders can be manufactured in much larger diameters than would be practical with much heavier all-metal cylinders, fewer composite cylinders are required to contain the same volume of gas.
Red arrows are Luxfer Gas Cylinders locations.
Green arrows are Luxfer Gas Cylinders Alternative Fuel locations.
Luxfer is the only AF cylinder manufacturer to offer security of supply from multiple, state-of-the-art AF cylinder manufacturing facilities in Riverside, California; Brigham City, Utah; and Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Because our European customers often require complete gas-containment systems, Luxfer operates our Luxfer Germany cylinder winding, system design and assembly facility in Ratingen (near Düsseldorf). A leader in bulk transport and storage of compressed gases, Luxfer Germany specializes in providing turnkey solutions.
We’re proud of Luxfer’s long-standing reputation for making high-performance aluminum and composite cylinders for a wide variety of high-pressure applications. Now we’re applying that same know-how to our growing line of products for the AF market. We’re dedicated to providing our customers a complete package for all their CNG applications.
Many exciting things have happened at Luxfer over the past three years. In September 2012, we acquired Dynetek, a manufacturer of Type 3 AF cylinders, which added two dedicated manufacturing facilities – in Canada and Germany – to our global presence and also brought new products to our AF range. Only a month later, our parent company, Luxfer Group, listed on the New York Stock Exchange, making new resources available for the expansion of our AF business. During 2013, Luxfer Group entered into a joint venture with GTM Technologies to manufacture modules for transportation and bulk storage of compressed gases, including natural gas, hydrogen, helium, breathing air and other gases. Early in 2014, Luxfer Group acquired Vexxel Composites (now operating as Luxfer Utah), a small composite cylinder business with a facility purpose-built for the manufacture of Type 4 composite cylinders that will be targeted initially at the Class 8 heavy-duty truck market, where we anticipate a high rate of conversion from diesel to CNG.
This year we’re adding G-Stor® Go – our new Type 4 cylinders – to our existing line of G-Stor® Pro Type 3 AF cylinders. Luxfer is now the only major cylinder manufacturer that offers both Type 3 and Type 4 AF cylinders, and we’re also launching a complete line of AF accessories, including valves, pressure release devices and mounting hardware. For hydrogen containment, we offer our Dynecell cylinder line.
The last few years have been exciting for Luxfer – and we have even bigger plans for 2015.
Luxfer Business Development Director for Alternative Fuels
Five facts about natural gas and NGVs
- Availability - There is an abundance of natural gas in North America alone for fueling vehicles. Inventory levels of natural gas are at record levels, with estimates of more than a 200-year supply.
- Cleaner fuel -Natural gas is the cleanest-burning fossil fuel. CNG vehicles produce 60% to 90% less smog-producing pollutants and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 30% to 40%.
- Reducing pollution - In terms of pollution reduction, converting one truck from diesel to natural gas is the equivalent of taking as many as 325 cars off the road.
- Cutting consumption - Just one heavy-duty “18-wheeler” truck uses up to 20,000 gallons of fuel per year. Replacing only 100,000 of these trucks with those powered by natural gas would immediately cut our consumption of diesel fuel up to 2 billion gallons per year.
- Full of fiber - A 200-liter Luxfer CNG cylinder is wrapped with 2.3 million miles of carbon fiber, enough to stretch to the moon and back more than 4.5 times or around the earth about 100 times.
Luxfer’s Dynecell products are the leading line of lightweight high-pressure hydrogen-storage cylinders used by a number of the world’s largest OEMs that design, develop and manufacture state-of-the-art compressed hydrogen-storage systems for fuel-cell and internal-combustion engines.
- Luxfer Gas Cylinders to Introduce G-Stor® Go Line of Type 4 AF Cylinders at ACT Expo Tradeshow
- Luxfer-GTM Technologies to Introduce Two New Gas-Storage Products at ACT Expo
- Luxfer Group acquires Vexxel Composites
- Luxfer to supply bulk natural gas transportation modules for Australian ‘virtual pipeline’
- Luxfer Group Enters into North American Joint Venture to Produce Gas Transportation Modules